Learn. Share. Plan.
Recipe: Roasted Sweet Potato &
Article Posted on
Here’s a healthy and colourful recipe from Homegrown, a cookbook by Mairlyn Smith, that celebrates Canadian food. Within it you’ll find 160 recipes featuring the best food our country has to offer.
The recipes were developed by Mairlyn and members of the Ontario Home Economics Association (OHEA), including this quick and easy recipe from Rosemarie Superville, PHEc and food stylist. Enjoy!
Roasted Sweet Potato & Lentil Salad
Serves: Makes 4 ½ cups; one serving = 3/4 cup
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces)
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp canola oil (divided)
- ½ teaspoon salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (divided)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 can (540 mL) lentils (well rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup cooked edamame (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl toss together sweet potato, 2 tsp canola oil, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Spread evenly on pan and roast 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown and tender. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ¼ cup canola oil, vinegar, maple syrup, cumin, coriander, curry powder, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Add cooled sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients and toss gently to coat. Chill at least 1 hour to blend flavours.